ConnectHome and its expansion program ConnectHomeUSA’s mission is to help HUD-assisted residents access affordable Internet, devices, and the training to use them so that residents can fully participate in the 21st century technology-based economy. Access to the Internet impacts most aspects of everyday life—the way we learn, employment, civic engagement—and allows access to a wide-range of information.
To find out if your public housing authority or tribe participate in ConnectHome or ConnectHomeUSA, please go here: If your community does participate in this initiative, make sure to contact your resident services department to learn more.
If you do not live in in one of the ConnectHomeUSA communities, there are ways you can get connected and benefit from the Internet.
Visit our partner EveryoneOn's website for a list of affordable Internet, computers, and digital training providers in your ZIP Code: http://everyoneon.org.
As of December 2016, the Lifeline Program offers users the choice (where applicable) to apply their benefit to one of three types of service offerings:
- Fixed or mobile broadband,
- Fixed or mobile voice-only (to be phased out by the end of 2021 with the exception of certain areas), or
- Bundles of fixed or mobile voice and broadband.
To learn more, visit http://lifelinesupport.org.
View additional discounted offers from ConnectHome stakeholders, paying close attention to eligibility criteria.
Accessing the Internet is the first step. Your family needs to know what the Internet can help them do and how to stay safe while doing it. Here are some ideas to maximize your Internet access:
- Learn basic computer skills and more by visiting these sites:
- Contact your child's school to learn how to communicate with their teacher and view grades online
- Contact your bank to learn how to view your account online
- View Common Sense Media's resources to learn what entertainment is appropriate for your child's age
- Learn about banking, credit reports, mortgages, and loans from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Encourage your young child's learning with Public Broadcasting Service and Age of Learning's ABCmouse (ABCmouse offers free service to ConnectHomeUSA PHAs)
- Encourage your older child's learning with College Board